Skip to main content

Reflection #3: Week 3 - "Black Roots, White Fruits"

 

    A common theme of black popular music in America can be defined as "black roots, white fruits", in which black musicians are left out of mainstream music but the fruits of their labor and artistry are reaped by their white counterparts. This can be seen in multiple instances in which black innovation was taken by and popularized by white artists, a famous current example since the Elvis movie came out is the multiple songs that were popularized as covers by Elvis Presley such as "Hound Dog" by Big Mama Thorton, "Money Honey" by The Drifters, and "Lawdy Miss Clawdy" by Lloyd Prince. In Reebee Garafalo's Crossing Over from Black Rythym & Blues to White Rock & Roll, the music industry limits the recognition of black artists.  Black music is the backbone of all genres of music from country to rock and roll and has even been placed into smaller categories recently like rap and hip-hop when it's always been so much more than that.

    Each week I try to tie in personal life to our lessons and try and reflect on how different aspects of my life coincide with what we learn in class.  a lot of the major themes I have noticed are self-identity and expression. I have always liked to use music as a personal form of my self-expression. I am constantly discussing the implications of what growing up in a primarily white community had on me as an individual and I noticed once coming to college, a more diverse and accepting community, the effects it had on my confidence and self-esteem. While attending school in this neighborhood, I excelled academically but recognition was not something I received from teachers, staff, or the board. I did not need the validation but I started to doubt myself and this doubt led to insecurities. I already had insecurities about my appearance but I started to question my intellect as well. I felt as if I was put in a box and judged on the way I looked, I could only be so smart because of the color of my skin in the eyes of these people that surrounded me.